fancontrol

Hi all,

As I got annoyed with having the fan run all of the time, I created a little daemon that controls the fan by measuring the hdd temperature and when it gets passed a high threshold, it turns on the fan. Next when the temperature has dropped below a low threshold, the fan will turn off again.

Installation is simple, just unzip the attached file, read the README. Next ftp the fancontrol.tar.gz to /tmp and login using telnet and issue the following commands:
cd /
tar -zxvf /tmp/fancontrol.tar.gz

this will install 1 file into /var/bin and 1 into /var/etc

You can configure the daemon by editing /var/etc/fancontrol.config

Next start the daemon with /var/bin/fancontrol
The application will exit immediately, in case of an error, please copy /tmp/fancontrol.log and post it here.

In the default config, logging is limited to errors only.

Please read the fancontrol.config for the options you can set.

There is no need to stop and restart the daemon when you change the settings, it will automatically pick up the changes at the next measurement.

Don't set timer over 300 seconds!
Don't set high over 45 degrees Celsius.

Temperatures are in Celsius, as I am european. Fahrenheit users, please run "/var/bin/hddtemp -qw /dev/sda" to see if hddtemp output Celsius or Fahrenheit for you, if it outputs fahrenheit, please also run "/var/bin/hddtemp -qwn /dev/sda" this will give you a single number (the temperature) if this is the same as the Fahrenheit temperature, please adopt the high and low temperature into Fahrenheit.

Use at your own risk, and report any errors here.

As far as I know the daemon is only usefull for dgs cuberevo (no idea of mini or other types, someone will have to try this out, I only have cuberevo's), it is useless for the abcom ipbox 9000 as this one has a design flaw with the airflow so it gets hot anyway.

There is still 1 issue, you have to start the daemon manually, the image makers will have to add it in their images and autostart it from a bootup script, as those are read only.

There is no need to turn off or on the fan in the sbox application, as the daemon will always over ride this value. You can however in the config file force the fan to be on all the time, or off all the time.

Have fun with it,

Click here to enlarge